Sunday, May 15, 2011

Ode to My Mother by Randall Stephens

I’m writing this not just for Mom but also for me and my selfish pain.  I hope it may in some way make you and me feel a bit better about our very special Mom.

Sometimes life sucks, other times it just hurts really bad and often it’s wondrous, amazing and confusing.  But always it is mysterious and puzzling.

Mom told my oldest daughter that “I’m going away to see Dad but don’t be sad for me.  It will all be OK.”

Isn’t that just like a Mom?  Moms are like life, they are surprising and amazing.  Mom always told me in my darkest hour that it will be OK.  It will all work out.  Moms are the best, the bravest, the weakest, the strongest, the softest, the wisest, the gentlest of all God’s lovely creatures and I haven’t always realized that.  Mom, I’m sorry.

In their softness is the strength of Hercules.  In their gentleness is the Rock of Gibraltar.  In their hum is the song of Angels.  In their reprimand is the non conditional love of God.  In their discipline is the broken wing of a dove.  In their laughter is the birth of life.  In their smile is the promise of love.  In their presence there is grace.  In their embrace the whole world stands still.  In their protective wrath the heavens shake and in their loss we are forever broken.  Mom, I love you.

They give life and light.  They give us love and compassion.  They give us foresight and direction.  They give us calm in the storm, wisdom in confusion, hope in the mysteries of darkness.  They give us the best of their best, their life for ours.  They give and give and give and continue to give without demanding anything for themselves in return.  Mom, I’m so grateful.

Their words send us into the battle of light and darkness.  Their embrace makes our pain disappear.  Their smile melts all our fears.  Their memory keeps us going on and on, forever forward, forever challenging, forever brave, forever forgiving, forever loving, forever strong, forever understanding, forever compassionate, forever thankful.  Forever.  I just wish I could give my life so she could live a little longer.  Oh that she could live and love my children and grandchildren into adulthood.  To love them into brave, strong, understanding, loving and forgiving graceful adults.  I know she could do that so much better than me.  Mom, I’m proud.

Mom taught me how to shoot.  She always could outshoot Dad and knew how to rub it in real good.  She taught me to reverence all life, to respect others, to be nice to girls and animals (not that the two are related or anything).  She helped me with school work and with life’s conundrums.  She told me stories about what could be.  She held my hand when I was scared and hurt, wiped my tears of rage and fear, dried my eyes of pain and disappointment.  Mom told me about my ancestors’ heroic journeys and exploits.  Who I was and where I came from.  Mom laughed with me and cried with me.  Mom healed my wound, soothed my pains, held my hands and told me about life even though I didn’t understand at the time.  She took me by the arm and whipped me in a circle with a tree branch and then told me how much she was disappointed in me and how much she loved me.  Mom did all she could to lovingly form and mold me into a brave, whole man that others could be proud they knew.  Mom, you gave so much so I could have the chance of being something.  So that I could someday be the twinkle in your eye.  The love of your broken life.  Mom, I’m still trying to make you proud.

Moms!  There’s nothing like them in all the universe and without them there would be no gentle strength, no tenderness, no compassion.  There would be no loving, brave feminine side of life, and the beauty of our world that Moms form with their loving, broken heart would be forever lost.

Mom, this is from the heart of your eldest.  The son you formed from your joy, pain, and love.  I’m proud to be your son!  I’ll always love you forever and ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment