Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Darklands by Stuart Clayton


I woke in a daze up not sure where I had fallen from and wondering what had caused me to fall in the first place. I was not sure where I was either, for the darkness was the only thing that I could make out. I laid there for a while waiting for a thought of things past or present to come to my mind but all that came to my mind was a blank confusion. The earth around me seemed to groan under the misery of the conditions that had befallen it.

After lying for a while I decided that this was no time for ignorance, something had to be made of the conditions that I found myself in. I sat up to discover the ground under me seemed to move as I arose, and in fact I was on no ground at all, a small wooden canoe had become my resting place. The canoe may have been 6-7 feet long and held nothing but an oar and a pole that stood at the front of the boat. The canoe had clearly seen better days, some of the wood near the top of the canoe seemed rotten and a small hole sat on the starboard side high enough to let a drop or two of water leak in with the occasional wave that would drift by.

Confusion seemed to abound as to why exactly I was in a canoe until I looked out at my surroundings; Water seemed to stretch for an eternity.  Tree stumps poked out of the water sporadically causing me to believe that the water may have been 5 feet deep in the deepest spots. The darkness seemed to be broken slightly by flickering points of light in the distance that were dimmed even more by the thick fog that seemed to be as constant as the darkness. 

Complete loneliness and fear began to envelope my being, "I was never prepared for this" I thought. I knew of nothing to say or think it was as if fear itself came and sat with me in my canoe, and as I opened my mouth to scream for help I found nothing came out for I had nothing to say.

            Two options were presented to me I figured, wait or begin to paddle into the foggy darkness. Waiting seemed to be the most obvious option, after all I knew nothing of the place I was in and fear seemed to be the only companion I knew at that point, so wait I would do until I could find something else out about this place. And about this time I saw something in my canoe that I must have missed in the darkness. A small wooden sign that sat at the front of my canoe that read:

                                               Searching is the way of the Darklands
                                               Questions do abound, paddle out to find your way.

(For the continuation of this story go to the "Darklands Continuation" link on the right under the "Pages" header)

No comments:

Post a Comment